Thursday, July 30, 2015

Traffic, traffic, TRAFFIC!

Sunny Saturday in San Francisco = So much traffic and no way to get around it!!!!  I guess I shouldn’t complain much but when a ride should take only about 20 minutes and it turns into 1 hour, that is WAY too much traffic!  I don’t mind being in traffic when I am not working but I always feel bad about people being in my taxi and paying to sit.  I often will look on a GPS app for different ways to get to their destination.  Sometimes they are better but not always.  A few times the GPS app has taken me WAY out of the way, even if there wasn’t traffic.  I try and look at the streets the GPS app is taking me and make a decision to see if there is even a better way to go too.  Do you use a GPS app?  Do you have a favorite one?  

I know I was talking about a futbol match in the Bay Area yesterday, I found out it was the  International Cup Championship.  Do not know how long they are going for but if you look up their schedule it looks to be a few fun matches.  I wish I could watch a few but even if I had the channels I would not even understand what is going on.  The match is only shown on channels that speak in Spanish.  I am not a real fan but I do enjoy watching sporting events.  I call myself a “peripheral” fan.  Meaning I know really nothing about the teams, I do not have really any favorite team but I really enjoy watching most sports.  

During the early part of my shift, when it was still light outside, I watched a motorcycle CHP go down a one way street going the wrong way.  He seemed a little confused on his way past everyone but ended up turning down another street with his lights and sirens on.  Maybe he knew what he was doing.  Only he knows.

At least once or twice a night I am asked if I ever get scared driving a taxi in the middle of the night or even scared of the people I pick up.  I use my female intuition when picking up people plus I feel I am a really nice person so they treat me like a nice person. I have had very few problems with people that get in my taxi and when I have had problems with them, it was really just small things. I try and not pick up in certain areas of the city but sometimes I find myself in those areas dropping off people.  I do drop them off quickly and not stop until I get back to a safe area.  I sometimes wish there was a way to only unlock one door in the car at a time.  Like only unlocking the back passenger door or the front passenger door.  That would make things safer for many, many people, if you could unlock a door, multiple doors or all doors.  Don’t you think?

July 28

Tonight I picked up mostly men tonight.  They also didn’t want to talk at all, which I guess shouldn’t be unusual but it is in San Francisco.  Most people in the city just want to chat a little bit.  Sometimes I am a little bit uncomfortable when that happens but I deal with it as best as I can.  With a smile and a friendly thank you very much.  Happy most tip very nicely too!

Have you ever been in SF when it was over 70 at 10:00 pm?  Well, there are so many people out and about it is wonderful in the city!  People are happy and excited to be able to spend time outside without a jacket that the parks and bars are packed! People are happy to take a taxi home.  Love hot days in the city!

I picked up a very nice and quiet man at the ballpark and he needed to go to Tiburon.  I have never been to Tiburon.  Very nice views from there!  I want to go during the day to see what it looks like in daylight!  I think where I dropped off the guy was the very end of the peninsula but since it was so dark, I am not really sure.  While my customer was paying another guy was waiting outside of my taxi.  At first I wasn’t sure why he was standing around but he asked if I could take him back to his hotel.  He had been waiting for a taxi for over an hour.  I told him I was not suppose to pick up any other place than the city or the airport.  Since he had been waiting an hour to go back to his hotel, I said, I guess I could take him back to his hotel.  He got in and away we went, chatting the whole time.  Very nice man.  Happy I could help him out.  I don’t know if I would be happy waiting over an hour for a taxi.  I know it happens everywhere but it doesn’t make it right.

So I was driving down the freeway going over the speed limit, but not too much over it, in the fast lane because there was much slower drivers in the other lanes when the car behind me starts flashing their lights at me.  Why do people do this??  I was driving faster than the lanes to the right of me.  I had every right to be in the lane I was in.  I shouldn’t have to move over just because the person behind me feels they are better than me?  There was plenty of space for the person behind me to wiggle his way between cars that were going slower than I was.  The only people that have the right to make me move over is the police.  I know me not moving over for the guy behind me flashing their lights may not make everyone happy but it is my view.  My dad always said, if two cars to the right of me was going faster, move over.  I do that (okay, sometimes I daydream and mess up).  I feel it is only right.  

July 25

I watched a very young lady walking two dogs.  She bent over to pet one of the dogs and something fell out of her shirt, then something else fell out of her shirt.  It looked like the fake foam boobs that fell out of her shirt!  She quickly picked them up and stuffed them back into her shirt.  Then tried to walk away quickly from the area.  I just had to giggle.  I had never seen that before!

I picked up three wonderful ladies outside of the ballpark.  I hustled them into the taxi and off we went.  So much traffic!  What should have taken 15 minutes took almost an hour!  We chatted about a lot of things.  There were here visiting the area for the weekend, to go to the game, eat and enjoy themselves!  The ladies lived in the LA area and were Giants fans but their families are Dodgers fans so the families were not happy they came up for the game.  (My guess, is the family was okay with the visit but didn’t really “like” them going to the game).  Two of the ladies lived in the SF area at one time but had not been to SF in about 20 years.  It was great to chat with them about the changes they saw.  When I dropped them off at Pier 39 they asked to see if I would pick them up later so I gave them my card and said I would be happy to pick them up again.  I received a call about 3 hours later and they asked for a ride back to their hotel.  I was a little bit far away and said, if they wanted to take another taxi, it would be okay.  They said, no, they would wait for me.  I was able to get to them pretty quickly!  Happy in SF we have roads with timed lights.  Happy to be able to pick them up and take them to their hotel after their evening of dinner and shopping!  When I dropped them at their hotel, I was given lots of hugs and hope that they call me again when they are in the area!

Well, I think that is all I have for right now.  Thank you again for reading my blog!  I love you very  much!

No comments:

Post a Comment