Saturday, August 1, 2015

Bad people

I have been driving for about 2 years and in that time I have only had 3 that I would never want in my taxi again.  I am still nice and receptful of them in my cab, they are just not nice and receptful.


I picked up a beautifully dresses couple on Columbus/Broadway and they wanted to go to Union/Polk.  I complimented the lady on her beautiful dress and she seemed to enjoy it.  The guy just dismissed me.  Wonderful.  I started driving down Columbus and missed going down the first street I could turn around.  I don’t know what I was thinking at that moment.  I went down to turn right on Washington and before I could the guy in the back starts yelling, “where are you going?  We are going the wrong way.” So I said, I am sorry, I missed the turn on Pacific.  We get to about the same location as where I picked them up at but on Kearny the guy says “You are not going to charge us the $7.40 from this ride, right?”  I said a little sarcastic “sure”.  I took them to their destination without any further problems.  I stopped and said have “a good night”, they started to get out of the taxi and he tried to give me money, I said, “thank you but it is okay.  Have a good night”. He said he needed to pay but I said “Have a great night”  and they finally got out but the guy threw, a whopping $5 at me through the window.  After I started to pull away I said loudly but not too loudly “I don’t want your bad karma money”  I gave the $5 to a homeless man to make me feel better.  And it did!  The ride would have cost him an extra $2.00.


Stopped for a guy on Castro/18th and he asked to go to 19th/Guerrero, so it wasn’t a big ride but we talked all the way, it was an enjoyable conversation.  We get to his destination and he says turn left and go a little bit.  I said, please tell me when, and he kept saying go, go forward. I kept driving until I get to Harrison and tell him I cannot go any farther.  He then says “You took me too far!” so I turned around and drove him back to 19th/Guerrero and told him this was his stop.  He said this isn’t where I live.  I said, this is where you need to get out of the taxi.  He tried to pay but I just wanted him out.  Even as he was leaving my taxi, he kept saying he didn’t live here.

The last man I picked up was on Castro/Market, I really knew I shouldn’t have picked him up by the way he was acting before I stop for him.  You never know about people so I picked him up anyway.  As soon as he got into my taxi he was concerned with my backpack attached out of the way in the trunk of my taxi.  I let him know it was mine and it was fine.  He calmed down for a few minutes and then he again started obsessing about my backpack.  I told him again that the backpack was mine and I turned the corner so I could get out of the traffic.  At this time I was getting a little uncomfortable so I asked him to leave my taxi.  He said, “but I can pay, I just want to get to…” He tried to give me a credit card but I didn’t want it.  I just wanted him out of my taxi.  He didn’t want to leave, he wanted to a ride.  I let him know I was feeling uncomfortable and I needed him to leave my taxi.  He still didn’t want to leave, I told him I was going to call the police if he didn’t leave.  He finally opened the door but wouldn’t really leave.  He kept saying, I will pay you, I just need to get to…  At this time I started calling emergency.  They picked up and I started explaining what was happening to me.  The guy finally left my taxi and shut the door.  I pulled away quickly and thanked the emergency people. They asked me if I was okay and safe.  I said I was fine and thank you.  After a few minutes of driving away, I stopped to take a breather.  Maybe he didn’t mean anything but I was feeling really nervous.  Better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment